I went on a consultation for a single person who needs to sell her home due to unforeseen medical issues.  Through no fault of her own, she was diagnosed with a debilitating disease that she is unlikely to recover from as there is no cure.  Due to this genetic disease, her whole life has been turned upside-down.  She once enjoyed a comfortable living, but now has trouble doing even the most simplest things.  So, what are her options?

It is exhausting for an ill person to figure everything out.  Questions she has are:

  1.  If I can’t work, how can I pay for healthcare?
  2. If I can’t work, how can I get disability payments and how long will it take?
  3. If I can’t work, how can I pay for home health care?
  4. If I need to sell my house, where can I go since I don’t have income anymore?

As a realtor, some of these questions are beyond my scope.  However, I will do the best I can to get her in touch with people who can give her the correct answers.

Mortgage Lender/Holder

If you are ever in a financial predicament and don’t think you’ll be able to make your mortgage payments, you do have some options—but only if you reach out to your lender. You could potentially qualify for what is called a forbearance, which is essentially when a lender and an owner agree to lowered or suspended payments until the owner is back on their feet. There may also be government assistance programs available to help you bridge the gap in your payments or restructure your mortgage.

This doesn’t mean that you’re off the hook, however; you will still have to catch up on the repayment. The most important thing to remember is that you want to be the one reaching out to them and not the other way around.

Social Security

Contact the Social Security Agency for information and an application on submitting a disability claim.


Healthcare should be a right of every U.S. citizen.  However, until that day comes, you’ll need to find alternatives to your previous employer’s health care plan.  Perhaps the Affordable Care Act is right for you.  Wisconsin also has BadgerCare health plans.

Government Assistance

There is government assistance from agencies as well as charities that work together to offer grants that will assist many families. There is also financial aid from community action agencies and non-profits. State and federal government organizations and local agencies may offer free financial help for paying bills, grants to cover household living expenses, and debts. Struggling households can find assistance to help pay their utility bills, funds for paying medical expenses, health care costs, or rent. There are also various food programs, credit card debt services, and other charitable as well as government assistance programs.

Realtor Services

As a realtor and home stager, I can help with getting her house ready to sell.  I can help her decide what to keep, what to donate, what to sell, and what to toss.  Then I can stage her house to make it more appealing to prospective buyers.  I can hire a photographer to take professional photos for online viewing.  I can schedule Open Houses and showings around her schedule.  I can help her look for her next housing, whether if renting an apartment or purchasing a condo.  I can negotiate on her behalf for terms in her best interest.

Be an Advocate

No matter what your situation is, I will do everything I can to protect your interests and be your advocate.  Everyone needs someone to help them at various stages in life.  Ask for help from your neighbors, friends, church, or other organizations.  I’m here for you.  Contact Premiere Stagers & Realty at 608-345-9396